Job Title: Trader
Department / Unit: Trade
Duty Post: North Ridge – Accra, Ghana
Reports Directly to Executive Director
We are a bulk oil distribution company (BDC) operating within the downstream sector of
Ghana’s oil and gas industry. We are a people company and we empower our team to act
in the interest of the customer across all aspects of our service delivery in the energy value
chain. We believe in teamwork and are committed to integrity in all of our dealings.
The Trader will be responsible for buying and selling our various products, optimizing our
trade portfolios, and managing risk in energy markets. This role requires a deep
understanding of energy markets, financial analysis, and a proven track record of
successful trading. The trading officer will play a critical role in maximizing profitability
while ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
The job holder will be tasked with investigating ways to improve profitability and analyze
markets (forex exposure, financial instruments, local and international energy markets) to
mitigate risk and identify business opportunities.
- Execute product trading needs, including buying and selling AGO, PMS, Crude, ATK, RFO, HFO, LPG, using a variety of trading instruments and platforms.
- Build relationships with external trading counterparties in order to understand their requirements, strategies, drivers, business portfolio and market views.
- Perform financial modeling and analysis to evaluate the potential impact of trading decisions on profitability.
- Be updated about all changes in regulatory standards and ensure Rhema Energy’s compliance with industry regualtions and reporting requirements.
- Partner with GM and FM to monitor and manage risks associated with product trading, including exposure to price volatility, market fluctuations, and forex. Implement risk mitigation strategies.
- Liaise with Finance and Sales Teams to ensure the compliance to the terms with LC and Insurance bonds as part of trading activities.
- Develop & foster a network of international & domestic partners, negotiate sales terms, and ensure all aspects of risk are covered in transactions.
- Observe developments in the market and relevant market intelligence, including supply and demand balances as well as competitor activities.
- Liaise with GM to report regularly to management on market developments, trading decisions and strategy, Profit & Loss moves, budgeting, initiatives for approval.
- Develop and implement effective trading strategies to capitalize on market opportunities, optimize portfolio performance, and mitigate risks.
- Due to the need for strong in depth knowledge of energy markets and risk assessment, the ideal candidate should have a minimum five (5) years direct work experience in oil & gas trading.
- Computer literacy, particularly using trading software, data analysis tools, and technology platforms to analyse commodity markets and gather intelligence.
- A minimum bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, petroluem engineering, or a related field. A Master’s degree is an added advantage.
In addition to qualifications and requirements above, the successful candidate should have the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAOs):
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills, solid negotiation skills, solution-oriented attitude, collaborative mind-set, proactivity.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy in trading activities.
- Strong sense of accountability, analytical and quantitative skills for financial modeling and risk assessment
- Good analytical skills, good command of IT tools, Trading Softwares and platforms
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships – for influencing and negotiations.
- Technical understanding of the relationship between physical and financial crude oil markets, knowledge of macro and micro economics and how these impact commodity pricing.
Interested qualified candidates should send their CVs and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by February 15, 2024.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted latest thirty (30) days after the deadline.